PAGE CONTENT - select topic below:
Maria Trost Pastoral Centre, Lydenburg, Witbank Diocese
Pope's Prayer Intention for September:
An environmentally sustainable lifestyle
ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES:
Welcome to South Africa:
Fr. Jerome Anakese, assigned to Mahube Valley Parish, Mamelodi
We still eagerly await the arrival of the following confreres in our Province:
Fr. Javier Martin Ruiz Eche (Peruvian)
Fr. Ronald Alionzi (Ugandan, studied in South Africa)
Letter of Solidarity from the
Violence and Looting in
No to Looting in South Africa
Opening Address SACBC Plenary
THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS
TITULAR PATRON OF THE INSTITUTE
Message from the General Council
Message from the Provincial Superior RSA
COMBONI MISSIONARIES SOUTH AFRICA
LUMKO INSTITUTE, 12-16 April 2021
We are grateful to God for the presence and
guidance of His Spirit during our Assembly.
We also thank you for your prayers.
Year of saint Joseph
Year of Saint Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church and Patron of the Institute (8.12.2020-8.12.2021)
On 19 March we celebrate the feast of St Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church and Patron of our Institute. We know well the important place of St Joseph in the missionary life of St Daniel Comboni, and also the familiarity with which our Founder related to this saint. Often, with Our Lady, he would also mention St Joseph: “gentleman”, “mission bursar”, “protector of the Church and of the people of Nigrizia”. Pope Francis wanted this year to be dedicated to Saint Joseph, on the 150th anniversary of his declaration as Patron of the Universal Church. This declaration took place precisely at the time of Comboni (8.12.1870) and from this deduct the place that St Joseph had in his life. In view of this celebration, the Pope has published the Apostolic Letter “Patris Corde” which we would like to invite everyone to read, as we prepare for the feast of the 19th of March. In addition to this letter, the GC has decided to offer you two reflections: one, prepared by Fr Carmelo Casile, “St Joseph in the missionary journey of St Daniele Comboni” and the other, by Fr Guido Oliana, entitled “The theology and spirituality of St Joseph and the vocation of the Comboni missionary brother – paternity, fraternity and ministeriality”. We are sending only the Italian version of the latter text. We hope to have it translate soon into other languages. Other reflection material on St. Joseph can be found in the blog of Fr. Manuel João: https://combonianum.org/. Personal and community reading of these texts will help us to live this year better and to have this saint even more as part of our companions on the mission roads today.
We wish everyone a Happy Feast and a Happy Year of Saint Joseph.
The General Council
Patris Corde “With a Father’s Heart”
Joseph a man capable
of dialoguing with mystery
Play these challenging Catholic Quiz Games
and see how much you really know about your Faith!
Play a Free Bible Trivia Game
How much do you know about Sacred Scripture?
Test your knowledge of the Word of God in the areas of:
* Art and Culture
* Love and War
* General Knowledge
Play a Free Catholic Trivia Game
How much do you know about your Catholic Faith and Catholic culture?
Test your knowledge of the Catholic Church in the areas of:
* Art and Literature
* Liturgy and Customs
* Saints and Personalities
Play a Free Catholic Catechism Trivia Game
How much do you know about the Catechism?
Test your knowledge of the Catechism in the areas of:
* The Profession of Faith
* The Celebration of the Christian Mystery
* Lift in Christ
* Christian Prayer
The Catholic Game is the most fun and exciting way to educate and test your knowledge of the Catholic Faith! A comprehensive bank of 1,000 questions will quiz your brain on: Dogma & Theology, Bible Trivia, History & Tradition, People & Places, and Rituals, Objects, & The Mass. Additionally, you can test your knowledge with a bank of 100 popular images and symbols of the Catholic Church, Questions range from very easy to very hard. You only have 30 seconds to choose an answer! After you choose an answer, The Catholic Game will either confirm or correct your choice. Good luck! You could be on your way to being the next great scholar and theologian of the Church!
Saint of The Day
Doctrinal Homily Outlines
- Parish builds strength with fundraising October 24, 2021A restoration project that came in at close to $2 million has not only allowed St. Mary’s Church in Campbellford, Ont., to return to its former glory, it has also fostered greater strength among the parish community.
- Halifax takes unique run at housing crisis October 22, 2021Halifax parishes are working to fight homelessness by offering church property as the sites for emergency shelters to house those in need.
- Latest synod builds on Vatican II graces: Czerny October 21, 2021In a major speech at the University of Fribourg, Canadian Cardinal Michael Czerny has made the case for the just begun Synod on Synodality as a deeply necessary and Catholic project that builds upon the graces and truth of the Second Vatican Council.
- Support growing for vaccinating young children October 21, 2021The union representing Ontario’s Catholic teachers is endorsing calls to authorize COVID vaccinations for kids between five and 11, a move that seems to have the support of the majority of Canadians as well.
- Myanmar military arrests seven Caritas workers October 20, 2021YANGON, Myanmar -- Myanmar's military has arrested seven workers from the Catholic Church's social arm who were on a mission to provide aid for internally displaced persons in conflict-stricken Kayah state.
- Catholic Children's Aid apologizes for systemic racism October 20, 2021The Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Toronto has acknowledged and apologized for historical harm committed against Indigenous and Black communities.
- Migrant shelter in southern Mexico denounces raid by armed individuals October 19, 2021MEXICO CITY -- A Catholic migrant shelter in southern Chiapas state said unidentified individuals forced their way into the premises -- the latest act of intimidation against migrant defenders in the region.
- Abortion ‘buffer zone’ bill defeated in Manitoba October 16, 2021Pro-life forces in Manitoba scored a victory on Oct. 14 when an NDP bill seeking to create a protest buffer zone around facilities providing abortions was voted down in the provincial legislature.
- Therapist finds beauty in healing, faith October 16, 2021Physiotherapist Robbie de Fleuriot believes in taking a holistic approach to physical recovery.
- From pain to forgiveness: A residential school survivor shares his story October 16, 2021VANCOUVER -- Rousing applause sounded as Cree elder Don Tourangeau embraced Fr. Pierre Ducharme at St. Joseph the Worker Parish in Richmond, B.C., on Canada’s first National Day of Truth and Reconciliation.